Pages

Tuesday 24 November 2009

Pine cone angels, whatever next!

I've been intending to post since Sunday (my first full day off from my "real" job), but things have conspired against me. One incident in particular I just can't shake from my brain and it's left me feeling confused, disbelieving, cross, light headed and now just generally ick and deflated - in that order. I would really love to air my views about this matter on here because talking it through (although technically I could be talking to myself on here!) always seems to help things make sense and I can at least vent if nothing else, but due to the seriousness of his "thing" I can't go into any details. Suffice to say it's left me feeling a little non enthusiastic about most things and too fidgety to concentrate on any of my craft projects.

So, I really haven't got much progress to show on my current WIPs. The only new thing I can share is what the band of small people at Toddler group have been up to today. We've been decorating pine cone angels for our Chrsitmas tree for the church tree festival. I'm very proud of all of their lovely creations, and they should be too. Our tree will look lovely. Fact, not opinion :D



These 2 angels are mine and Alexandra's.

If you feel inclined to make one of these you will need:

  • a pine cone
  • a scrap of bright coloured paper or card
  • a pen
  • a wooden bead
  • some string or yarn
  • glue
  • glitter
  • a craft pipe cleaner
  • 2 feathers
  1. These pine cone were actually bleached (by my nan who wasn't thinking so much of colour but more of cleanliness for the kids. She likes her bleach!) and left to dry for a few days so they are a paler colour.
  2. Tie your yarn or string to the rounded end (that is normally connected to the tree) and tie a knot in the very end to form a hanging loop.
  3. Thread the wooden bead onto the loop you've just tied and secure with a small amount of glue. Leave this to dry (the first 3 steps I did as preperation for today).
  4. Cover the pine cone body in glue and sprinkle with glitter.
  5. Make a small circle from twisting the pipe cleaner to thread over the yarn loop and glue to the bead "head"
  6. Cut a strip of the coloured card/paper to make the name tag and slightly roll the ends to make it appear like a scroll. Write your message/name.
  7. Glue this to the front of your angel
  8. Glue the 2 feathers to the back of your angel to form the wings
  9. If you like, you can draw a face on the wooden bead.

Obviousy the kids used PVA glue which was messy and fun, but took some while to set. For making my example, I used hot glue so that it would set quickly and securely. It just depends on who's going to be making it really!

I've also had a few more donations for our raffle prize for the Christmas fayre (which is fast approaching this Saturday). I would still have like to have seen more support (only 2 donators were people that bring children to the group), but any support is welcome and brings a smile. Roughly working it out, our Children's Christmas hamper contents is worth around £50. That's generosity :) I'm really looking forward to it and feeling quite optimistic about raising funds.

Sunday the small person turns 4 and we'll be taking her out for the day. Her party is the following weekend, same weekend as our Christmas tree festival. Two busy weekends! (and that project Mr Bogert was working on isn't finished yet! Eeek! We're waiting for windows to arrive in the post. Poor Mr Bogert might have a late night coming up.)

1 comment:

  1. Awww! Thanks for the lovely wishes....Wishes ;)
    What a softie that Ole Mr Bogert must be! That's so sweet that he remembered our anniversary, I hope his memories of our day are good ones.
    It's funny how now a year later I would have asked you all to come as friends rather than as photographer....although....I wouldn't want anyone else to have done our photos!

    ReplyDelete